Shiraz Braised Chuck Steak with Mushrooms and Paris Mashed Potato
4 x Harvey Beef chuck steaks
2 stalks celery
2 sprigs rosemary
4 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp flour
250ml shiraz wine
1L beef stock
For the paris mash
700g white potatoes
1. Finely dice the carrot, onion & celery.
2. Season the steak with salt & pepper, heat a fry pan to medium high heat & sear in a little oil until golden on each side. Transfer to a high sided baking dish or slow cooker.
3. Melt butter in same frypan & sauté vegetables until browning, add flour, stir quickly to remove lumps & cook gently. Add red wine & stir together to thicken. Add some of the stock & bring to boil.
4. Transfer all the liquid to the beef & seal tightly with a lid or foil. Cook at 160c for 3.5 hours, or if using a slow cooker cook on medium until tender.
5. For the mash, peel & boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Heat cream gently & cut butter into small cubes. Mash hot potatoes thoroughly & mix in hot cream & butter to melt. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley.