- 1kg Harvey Smokey American Brisket
- 2 cups water
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1l oil for deep frying
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 small Turkish rolls, cut in half
For the slaw
- 4 cups white cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 pink lady apples, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ bunch Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the Sauce
- 3 pink lady apples, peeled cored & diced
- 30g butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 80ml water
- Sea Salt Flakes Black Pepper & Olive oil to season
- Pre-heat oven to 140°C, in a lined roasting dish, add brisket and all marinade along with water, cover with foil tightly and bake for 3hrs per 500g. Turn & baste half way and add more water if necessary, cook until meat is tender and a knife goes through it easily. Allow to rest for 20 minutes. Alternatively place in a slow cooker with 1/2 cup of water or stock and slow cook on low for 6-8 hrs.
- For the sauce – heat the butter in a small saucepan, add diced apple and cook for 2 minutes until softening, add water sugar and cinnamon and cook until soft. Blend to a sauce in a food processor,
- For the slaw – whisk vinegar, mustard and oil together in to a dressing, mix together and season to taste.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin from the sweet potato and wash. Continue to peel long thin shavings of sweet potato, reserving to fry. Heat oil in a pot to 140c, fry sweet potato peelings gently in small batches until golden, draining on paper towel, sprinkle with cumin and salt.
- Pull the beef into thin strands, adding back to the meat any remaining pan juices & marinade
- Slice the bread in 2 spread with apple sauce, plenty of beef, top with apple slaw and cover with sweet potato crisps. A great sandwich lunch or as a light dinner.