Eva & Debra’s Mysore Beef with Eggplant
Ingredients for curry
500 gms Harvey Beef Scotch Fillet – cut into small cubes
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 medium sized onions, diced
5 sprigs of mint leaves
1 piece of ginger (size of a walnut), ground to a paste
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp chilli powder
½ tbsp cumin powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
Ingredients for frying:
4cm length cinnamon sticks
3 tbsp ghee
2 cups of basmati rice
2 tbsp of ghee
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
Ginger (thumb size), grated
6 shallots, finely sliced
3 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
½ tsp saffron, soak in water (just before cooking)
For the curry
1. In a bowl, combine beef with ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes, onions, mint leaves, chilli, coriander, cumin and turmeric powder and salt.
2. Heat oil in a wok. When oil is hot, add cloves, cardamoms & cinnamon stick and fry.
3. Add marinated beef. Stir-fry and leave to cook till curry boils (about 10 mins).
4. Cover and leave to cook, stirring now and then. When most of the liquid has been absorbed and curry is drying, reduce heat and continue cooking (add water, if required, as this curry is a dry fried dish).
5. When mixture begins to stick to wok, keep stirring. Remove when beef is soft and curry is dark brown.
1. Wash and drain rice, keep aside for awhile
2. Heat ghee in pot/wok.
3. Add spices
4. Add onions and cook until translucent
5. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 10 minutes (don’t let get brown).
6. Add rice and fry for awhile.
7. Add salt
8. Add 4 cups of water
9. Cover until cooked