You’re Better on Beef – Beef’s Essential Nutrients
Beef is packed with essential nutrients our body needs for good health
Beef is a good source of protein and iron, not to mention:
- Beef provides zinc, vitamin B12, omega-3, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid and phosphorus.
- The iron and zinc in beef is well absorbed by the body, better than the iron and zinc found in plant-based foods like legumes, spinach and grains.
- The type of omega-3 fat found in beef is the same ‘healthy’ fat found in fish.
- Vitamin B12 is only found in animal foods. So if you don’t eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs and dairy products, foods enriched with vitamin B12 or a supplement are required.
- Beef is one of the best sources of well absorbed iron and zinc. The redder the meat, the higher the iron content. That’s one of the reasons why when compared to the same amount of chicken, beef has triple the amount of iron and zinc.
- Eating beef regularly can help to maintain your body’s iron stores, preventing iron deficiency. This is particularly important for babies, toddlers, young girls and women, who are at risk of iron deficiency, as their bodies need more iron to meet the needs for growth and losses through menstruation.
Source – BeefandLamb.com.au